Brian C. Eddy
Brian has represented private companies, start-up companies, joint ventures, banks, as well as agricultural and commercial real estate owners. His practice areas include, but are not limited to:
- Business Formation (Sole Proprietorships, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, C Corporations, S Corporations and Non-Profit 501(c)(3) entities), including Entity Selection; Asset Protection Strategies; Contractor Registrations; Federal Tax ID #s; and Sales Tax Permits.
- Business Advise, including Employment & Shareholder Agreements; Severance Agreements; Contracts and Succession Planning; Trademarks; and Nondisclosure Agreements; Incentive Stock Options Plans; Security Agreements and UCC-1 Financing Statements.
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures.
- Debt Collection, including Demand Letters; Litigation; Foreclosures; Confession of Judgments; Judgment Debtor Examinations; Garnishments and Levies; and Mechanic’s Liens.
- Real Estate, including Purchase Agreements; Contracts and Leases; Real Estate Closings; 1031 Exchanges; Title Opinions & Deeds; and Development (Plats & Zoning); Boundary Line Disputes; and Quiet Title Actions.
- Estate Planning & Litigation, including Wills, Revocable and Irrevocable Trusts; Probate; Power of Attorneys; Guardianships & Conservatorships; Will Contests; and Representation of Beneficiaries.
- Taxation, including Individual and Business Tax Return Preparation and Consulting; and Sales & Use Tax Returns.
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Assisted client with a multi-million dollar sale of assets of medical device company
- Assisted client with a multi-million dollar acquisition of assets from China company
- Assisted client with acquisition and sale of a multi-million dollar webhosting business
- Assisted client with sale of crop insurance business
- Assisted client with acquisition of lumber supply business
- Assisted several different clients with the acquisition and sale of restaurants and bars
- Assisted several different clients with the acquisition of retail pharmacies
- Assisted client with a multi-million dollar sale of a .com business
- Assisted client with the purchase of multiple insurance agencies
- Assisted different clients with purchases and sales of multi-million dollar hotels
- Assisted client with sale of multi-million dollar grain bin business
- Assist different client with the purchase and sale of convenience stores
- Assisted client with the acquisition of a repair shop business
- Assisted client with a multi-million dollar sale of a wireless internet business
- Assisted several clients with the purchase and sale of hog confinement operations
- Assisted client with the purchase of a multi-million dollar cleaning business
- J.D., With Distinction, University of Iowa, 2000
- B.A., Finance (emphasis in Accounting and Taxation), minor in Political Science, University of Iowa, 1997
- Associate, Best & Flanagan, LLP
- State of Minnesota, 2001
- State of Iowa, 2001
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
Honors, Distinctions & Community Awards
- 2010 Recipient of the Cedar Valley Region's "20 Under 40" Award
- Hall of Fame, Independence Area Chamber of Commerce (2009)
- Business Person of the Year, Independence Chamber of Commerce (2006)
- Journal of Corporation Law, University of Iowa (1999-2000)
- Author, "Internet Roadshows: It's Time to Open the Door for the Retail Investor", Journal of Corporation Law, 2000
Civic & Volunteer Involvement
Independence Community School District, Board of Director (2011 – Current; President from 2011 – 2015; Vice President 2017-2018)
Past Professional Activities & Memberships
- Board of Directors, Independence Area Chamber of Commerce (2007-2009) (President 2008 and 2009)
- Board of Directors, Heartland Acres Agribition Center (Vice Chairman 2009; Chairman 2010-2011)
- Board of Directors, Dollars for Scholars (2012-2014)
- Independence Rotary Club
- Independence Mustangs Varsity Football (Volunteer Coach 2010-2011)
- Independence Mustangs 7th and 8th Grade Football (Volunteer Coach 2012-2013)
- Independence Mustangs Baseball (Volunteer Coach 2017-2018)
- People for Progress (Co-Chair 2008-2011)
- Volunteer Coach for Youth Baseball and Youth Football